Grant Funding Opportunities
F30 Grant: Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards for Individual Predoctoral MD/PhD Fellows and Other Dual Degree Fellows (Parent F30) (Predoctoral Students/Medical and Graduate Students)
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Fellowship for Students at Institutions Without NIH-Funded Institutional Predoctoral Dual-Degree Training Programs (Parent F30) (PA-16-306)
- Please note the distinction between PA-16-305 and PA-16-306 when applying. (As of June 2017)
- PDF of full instructions (SF424) can be found here.
Additional opportunities for funding can be found here.
How to Succeed in Science
- NIH Updates on Women in Science. The NIH Working Group on Women in Biomedical Careers. Volume 5, Issue 6 (February 2013) newsletter on topics of Gender Equity, Factors contributing to Gender Gap in Publication, and Female Presentation Rates at Meetings.
- How to succeed in science: a concise guide for young biomedical scientists. Part I: taking the plunge By Jonathan W. Yewdell, MD, PhD Advice for young biomedical scientists on the difficulties that lie ahead and on how to find the right laboratories for training in the skills that you will need to succeed.
- How to succeed in science: a concise guide for young biomedical scientists. Part II: making discoveries By Jonathan W. Yewdell, MD, PhD Practical advice to young scientists on choosing a research topic, designing, performing and interpreting experiments and, last but not least, on maintaining your sanity in the process.
- The importance of stupidity in scientific research By Martin A. Schwartz, PhD
- The Succesful Clinician Scientist of the 21st Century By Andrew I. Schafer, MD
- Residency program choices for those seeking a career as physician-scientist By Robin G. Lorenz
- The Hematologist Discoverer By Coller, Barry S, MD
Tips for Oral and Poster Presentations
- How to Captivate Your Audience from the Podium By Robert H. Eckel, MD
- Writing and Presenting a Scientific Poster By the American Psychological Society
- Resources and Workshops From The Graduate School at UK
- A New Approach to Mentoring By Kathy E. Kram and Monica C. Higgins Printed in The Wall Street Journal, page R10
- The Importance of Mentors By Susan E. Metros and Catherine Yang
- Mentee<->Mentor Our Challenge: Achieving the FullPpotential of a Mentoring Relationship By Joan M. Lakoski, PhD
- Selecting Your Mentor and Advisors From the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)