Is the MD/PhD Program right for you?
The University of Kentucky’s MD/PhD Program trains the best and brightest in the skills, intellectual tools and science of both clinical medicine and ground-breaking biomedical research. UK MD/PhD students contribute to the nation’s scientific agenda by bridging basic science and clinical research. Our students excel not just in their scientific achievements, but also in academic records, leadership roles, and community service. The program is designed to prepare exceptional students to assume leadership positions at the forefront of scientific and medical discovery. As one of UK’s MD-PhD students you instantly become part of a “family” comprised of research and clinical faculty and staff who make up our mentoring community.
The University of Kentucky MD/PhD Program is looking for well-rounded and accomplished individuals who are committed to pursuing a rigorous dual degree program and who have qualities necessary to be successful physician-scientists.
Our Program is open to all qualified applicants, regardless of state-of-residence. The Program accepts applications from international students. For more information, refer to the UK International Center.
We are committed to diversity and particularly encourage applications from women and members of racial, ethnic, and/or demographic groups currently underrepresented in biomedical science who can contribute new perspectives to our program and university.
When evaluating candidates for the combined degree program, we holistically consider the student's background, interview evaluations, research accomplishments, letters of recommendation, MCAT scores, and undergraduate academic performance. Although we do not have minimum numerical requirements, most applicants have significant research experience, stellar academic performance and competitive MCAT scores. Historically, successful applicants to our program have had extensive research experience, GPA of 3.8 +/- 0.3, and MCAT of 518 +/- 10. However, we highly value communication and leadership skills, motivation, integrity, empathy, and compassion when considering applicants.
- Download the Brochure in pdf format here.
- Statistics about the University of Kentucky College of Medicine MD class of 2019 can be found on the College of Medicine Website.
- For additional information about the program and to help you decide if the MD/PhD Program is the correct choice for you, contact us via e-mail or refer to our FAQ (PDF) page.
- Additional Information about our Application Process, Interview Days, and Program Outline.
- For general information, including application cycle due dates, about applying to the University of Kentucky College Of Medicine, please visit the College of Medicine Admissions web site or Contact Us.
2019 Cycle Timeline for UKY MD/PhD Program
- AMCAS application opens: June 1
- Secondaries Released: June 23
- November 1, 2018 - AMCAS Application Deadline
- January 15, 2019 - Secondary Application Deadline
- October 2018 –March 2019 - Applicants interviewed
- December 2018 - March 2019 - Initial decisions sent to applicants
- Janurary 2019 – April 2019 - Second look
- June–August 2019 - UKY M.D./Ph.D. program start: Program Retreat and 1st Lab Rotation
- July / August 2019 - First Day of M1 Classes
Because of the competitive nature of the program, we STRONGLY encourage you to complete your entire file as early as possible. This includes your secondary application, letters of recommendation, MCAT scores, and application fees.
Please note: students who are not accepted into the MD/PhD Program and wish to be considered for regular admission into the medical school should contact the Office of Medical Education Admissions.