Miami University, BS Biochemistry and Mathematics 2013
I am from Cincinnati, OH and completed my undergraduate degree at Miami University, in Oxford, OH were I swam on the Women's Varsity Swim Team. After completing my undergraduate degree I took time to decide on my future career and worked at Cincinnati Children's Hospital and Medical Center in the Human Genetics department as a research assistant investigating inherited eye disorders. During this time, I decided to pursue a career as a physician-scientist. I chose to attend the University of Kentucky MD/PhD program because of the community feel and support that I witnessed while interviewing. I have now been here for 5 years and I couldn't be happier with my decision!
My current research in Dr. Ann Morris's lab focuses on development of the ocular defects seen in CHARGE Syndrome. CHARGE syndrome (coloboma, heart defects, choanal atresia, growth retardation, genital abnormalities, and ear abnormalities) is a complex congenital genetic disorder resulting in severe defects in multiple organ systems. We are specifically using the zebrafish to study the genes that control neural crest cell development leading to the structures that are effected in CHARGE. With this work we hope to elucidate the mechanisms leading to ocular malformations in congenital syndromes like CHARGE, and lead to better identification, management, and treatment of patients with ocular birth defects.
Ruth L. Kirschstein Individual Predoctoral NRSA for MD/PhD Dual Degree Fellowship (F30)
"Ocular Complications of CHARGE Syndrome: The Role of Sox11"
UKY CCTS PSMRF - July 2016
UKY CCTS TL-1 (5TL1TR001997-02) - August 2020
2019 Davenport Fellow - CHARGE Syndrome Foundation
2019 AAP/ASCI/APSA Annual Meeting
2019 ACTS Annual Meeting
2019 International CHARGE Syndrome Meeting
- Coomer, CE ; Wilson, SG ; Titialii-Torres, KF ; Bills, JD ; Krueger, LA ; Petersen, RA ; Turnbaugh, EM ; Janesch, EL ; Morris, AC "Author Correction: Her9/Hes4 is required for retinal photoreceptor development, maintenance, and survival." Scientific reports 10, 1 (2020): 14843. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Coomer, CE ; Wilson, SG ; Titialii-Torres, KF ; Bills, JD ; Krueger, LA ; Petersen, RA ; Turnbaugh, EM ; Janesch, EL ; Morris, AC "Her9/Hes4 is required for retinal photoreceptor development, maintenance, and survival." Scientific reports 10, 1 (2020): 11316. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Hufnagel, RB ; Zimmerman, SL ; Krueger, LA ; Bender, PL ; Ahmed, ZM ; Saal, HM "A new frontonasal dysplasia syndrome associated with deletion of the SIX2 gene." American journal of medical genetics. Part A 170A, 2 (2016): 487-491. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Mizutani, T.; Fowler, BJ ; Kim, Y.; Yasuma, R.; Krueger, LA ; Gelfand, BD ; Ambati, J. "Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors Suppress Laser-Induced Choroidal Neovascularization in Mice." Investigative ophthalmology & visual science 56, 12 (2015): 7122-9. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Hufnagel, RB ; Arno, G.; Hein, ND ; Hersheson, J.; Prasad, M.; Anderson, Y.; Krueger, LA ; Gregory, LC ; Stoetzel, C.; Jaworek, TJ ; Hull, S.; Li, A.; Plagnol, V.; Willen, CM ; Morgan, TM ; Prows, CA ; Hegde, RS ; Riazuddin, S.; Grabowski, GA ; Richardson, RJ ; Dieterich, K.; Huang, T.; Revesz, T.; Martinez-Barbera, JP ; Sisk, RA ; Jefferies, C.; Houlden, H.; Dattani, MT ; Fink, JK ; Dollfus, H.; Moore, AT ; Ahmed, ZM "Neuropathy target esterase impairments cause Oliver-McFarlane and Laurence-Moon syndromes." Journal of medical genetics 52, 2 (2015): 85-94. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Abrams, AJ ; Hufnagel, RB ; Rebelo, A.; Zanna, C.; Patel, N.; Gonzalez, MA ; Campeanu, IJ ; Griffin, LB ; Groenewald, S.; Strickland, AV ; Tao, F.; Speziani, F.; Abreu, L.; Schüle, R.; Caporali, L.; La Morgia, C.; Maresca, A.; Liguori, R.; Lodi, R.; Ahmed, ZM ; Sund, KL ; Wang, X.; Krueger, LA ; Peng, Y.; Prada, CE ; Prows, CA ; Schorry, EK ; Antonellis, A.; Zimmerman, HH ; Abdul-Rahman, OA ; Yang, Y.; Downes, SM ; Prince, J.; Fontanesi, F.; Barrientos, A.; Németh, AH ; Carelli, V.; Huang, T.; Zuchner, S.; Dallman, JE "Mutations in SLC25A46, encoding a UGO1-like protein, cause an optic atrophy spectrum disorder." Nature genetics 47, 8 (2015): 926-32. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- De, K.; Sterle, L.; Krueger, L.; Yang, X.; Makaroff, CA "Arabidopsis thaliana WAPL is essential for the prophase removal of cohesin during meiosis." PLoS genetics 10, 7 (2014): e1004497. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]